I thought it would be interesting to make a list of mascaras that actually work for me. I seem to have tried them all and despite having found some true soulmates for my lashes, I always seem to be lured into new things that make a lot of promises, not living up to my expectations.
The mascaras I love the most range from 5 to 35 euros.
1. Clinique High Impact Waterproof
This is my go-to mascara on a daily basis. For some reason it was pictured with a butterfly on the display, while it doesn't really claim to create a butterfly effect. Despite that, the mascara is great. It has a very soft brush which I never feel on my eye! Some brushes actually stab my eyes or I feel bristles on my lashline and it hurts and irritates everything. This brush is like a breeze. It grabs quite a lot of mascara and applies it evenly on my lashes. The shape of the brush is not ideal to get in the corners and it stains my upper eyelid just a little, but apart from that it's a great mascara. Once dried, it lasts all day without creating bags or stains. It doesn't create huge fake looking lashes, but it sure is buildable and it creates a nice crisp eye. It comes off quite easily with an oily makeup remover too. It comes in a pretty light green tube.
2. Dior Diorshow Mascara Waterproof
If you're going for high end, I recommend this one. It has a pretty tube and very thick, soft bristles. It applies a light coat of mascara that is quite buildable. It's better at the corners than the Clinique mascara. This formula is also easy to remove but lasts all day.
3. L'Oreal Million Lashes
This mascara is a classic. It builds great volume and lasts all day. However, it's just as pricey as Clinique nowadays and only has a plastic brush. I believe it used to have bristles. This one also tends to stain a but during application, so use of a mascara guard is recommended until dry.
This is one of the few mascaras that have two fases: one base coat and then one mascara coat to make the lashes look extra thick. I think this mascara gives the most result of any mascara ever designed. I'm not sure if there is a waterproof version, but it surely won't crumble and melt on you, this is a good mascara!
4. Catrice Glamour Doll
These mascaras come in many varities, and I personally am content with the black non-waterproof version. It only costs a few euros and has been my friend throughout uni when I didn't have a lot of money for makeup. The mascara smells a bit of plastic but hasn't been tested on animals (if I may believe Catrice). It makes the lashes look voluminous and long, and a little bit sexy. Even when using the black tube it won't stain.
Some honorable mentions are Shu Uemura, but they don't actually sell in my country. I like anything by L'Oreal.
Brands I think you should avoid for life: La Roche Posay and Physician's Formula (I love PF, but not their mascaras), and smelly Essence mascaras. Also, many Maybelline mascaras have become painful and stainy.
x
Helena

0 Comments